Thursday, 12 December 2013

The Kite Runner-final post


The Kite Runner
Final Post
Kendra Wragg                                             
December 12, 2013

6. I think Amir’s reaction to the situation where Rahim asks him to go to Afghanistan to rescue Sohrab as his last wish was realistic. I believe his initial reaction of fear of returning to a country in war is how any human being would feel. Eventually Amir decides to go which I believe is remarkable. I think this action was the best thing he could have possibly done for himself, for Rahim Khan and for Hassan. Amir knew his secret of betraying Hassan as a child was eating away at him on the inside. He realized “I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975. I remember the precise moment, crouching behind a crumbling mud wall, peeking into the alley near the frozen creek. That was a long time ago, but it’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years.” This action of returning to Afghanistan not only changed Sohrab’s life, but Amir’s as well. He may have made a mistake, but this opportunity gave him the chance to be happy again and to turn his life around forever. I would like to think I would have done the same in this situation, however I don’t believe I would know how I would react until I was in the situation. If I was Amir I would probably realize that I would never be able to forgive myself for betraying Hassan especially because Hasssan was so loyal to Amir and always said to him, “for you a thousand times over.” I think I would realize this is the one chance to be able to forgive myself, change a child’s life, and with that be able to move on with my own life and be happy once again.

9. I would highly recommend the book “The Kite Runner” to other readers for the following reasons. The Kite Runner is a very powerful novel that gives readers a perspective of the immense struggles others face in other parts of the world. I believe this book has many very valuable messages in it, including how one action can change your life forever but “there is a way to be good again.” It teaches us to not take life for granted, and to be grateful for the country we live in and the rights we have as individuals. “It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime…” I found this book to be a great read and made me question my own ability to stand up for what I believe in, even if it means risking my life. This novel reinforced to me that there is nothing more important in our lives than our family and friends, and no material item or title can ever surpass that. I would recommend this novel to the type of person that enjoys learning about other cultures, has an open mind to seeing life through a different perspective, and who enjoys a captivating, powerful and inspirational read. This novel explores the cultural, political and relationship issues faced by a young boy in Afghanistan during a time of war. The Kite Runner forces us as readers to think about our own values and morals and teaches us that with every challenge there is a way to overcome it. Our strength to overcome these challenges ultimately decides our future. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a very powerful novel that keeps you turning the pages until the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment